This snack is apt for evening crunching. It’s very easy to prepare and tastes good. These kind of puffs we get all over Tamilnadu with bit of stuffed masala added with Vegetables. The same method can be followed to prepare vegetable samosa or Veg Samosa with the vegetable fillings.
- Frozen Puff Pastry Sheet – 1 ( Available ay any store in Frozen Section )
- Onion – 1 no ( Medium )
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Split Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Green Chili – 2 nos
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Curry Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- or Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Thaw the puff pastry Sheet for 40 min in room Temperature or microwave for 30 Sec. Note: Dont Microwave for more than 30 sec, as it would be mashed up. Pastry sheet will have 3 columns, so cut into 9 pieces by splitting the column first and then rows. You would finally get 9 squares. Chop Onions in to little bigger than the regular ones.
- In a pan, add oil, Mustard, Urad dhal and wait till mustard splutters. Add cumin, Chopped green chili, Onion, Salt and fry till the onion is cooked and the moisture in Onion is left. Add chili powder, Curry Masala Powder and fry for 2 or 3 minutes till the raw smell leaves. Do not forget to stir often as it would get burnt.
- Allow the cooked onion to cool down for 15 min. Take the Pastry sheet, and keep a spoon full of onion, do not over fill as u cannot close the edges. Close the edges of the pastry sheet carefully. Do it slowly as it my break the sheet. Close by pressing the edges together in hands.
- In a Oven tray spread the Aluminum foil and spray some oil on top of the sheet. Spraying Oil is to avoid puff being stick to the sheet. Arrange the stuffed Puff in the oven tray. Preheat Conventional Oven to 400. Keep the tray inside for about 20 – 30 minutes. Turn the sides in the middle.
(*) Recipe from one of my friends with slight variations.