Making chapathi is an art but very simple though. It took a little while for me to learn how to make it soft. Lots of trial and error with various combination, finally, here I come with useful tips which I learnt in the process. Chapathi is less in calories, so when u want to diet what else could be the best substitute. Chapathi pretty much goes well with any curry or gravy.
|Wheat Flour||4 cups + dusting|
|Water||1 1/2 cups|
|Ghee / Butter||2 tbsp ( Optional)|
In a wide open bowl take the wheat flour and salt. Add water little by little and knead it to a soft dough. It would be little sticky, add the extra flour and knead well to a non- sticky flour. Pat the dough with your hands or with the vessel to mix well. Apply the oil on top and knead once more. Refrigerate it for 30 min.
Take a small lemon sized flour and make a round shape. Flatten it using ur hands, dust the ball with some extra flour. Place it on the rolling surface, using the chapathi roller spread the flour into a flat thin paper like bread. When rolling, the chapathi should not stick to the rolling floor to get evenly rolled chapathi. So dust with extra flour accordingly.
Heat the griddle with medium high heat, place the rolled chapathi. When it small bubbles pop up on top, turn it to the other side. After 20-40 sec, turn back once again. Now the chapathi starts puffing else give it a gentle press with the kitchen towels. Don’t let it for too long on the pan as it tends to become crispy. Add ghee / butter on top of it to keep it soft for longer.
- Kneading a soft dough makes the chapathi real soft.
- Roll the chapathi as even as possible to get it to puff while cooking.
- Refrigerating helps chapathi to puff.
- Keep it little above medium high heat to get the chapathi done faster and stay softer. The hot air inside the puffed chapathi is enough to cook them well.
- Don’t heat chapathi for more than a min, to get it soft. This way the chapathi’s stays soft for a longer time.
- After the first turn, chapathi can be cooked by placing directly onto a fire flame for just 2- 5 sec to get it to puff nicely. But care should be taken not to burn ur hands.
(*) Any curry cooked with Vegetable or Non- Veg goes good with this.