Dear Friends, Wish you all a very Happy Pongal.
Here’s the special treat, traditional Sakkarai pongal from Kongunadu. Enjoy !!!
|Raw rice||1 cup|
|Moong dhal||less than 1/4 cup|
|Jaggery/ Goondu Vellam||1 1/2 cups|
|Elaichi / Cardamom Powder||1 tsp|
|Cashew nuts||15 nos|
Soak rice and Moong dhal together in water for 30 min. Pressure cook rice & Moong dhal with 3 cups of water ( 1:3 ratio ) for 4 whistles.
In a separate pan add 1 cup water and jaggery, allow it to boil till the jaggery melts. Add the cooked rice into this and mix well. In a pan add 1/2 tsp of ghee and fry raisins, when you add the raisins to ghee it bulges and take it out immediately. Care should be taken while frying, if you burn raisins it would taste bitter and spoil pongal. Add Cashews to it and fry for a minute. Add these to th pongal. Add ghee, honey and cardamom powder. Add Milk and mix well for 2 min on stove and turn off.
- Use Jaggery and no other sugar substitutes, if you are looking for authentic taste.
- You can also dates, pistachios. But these are optional.
- The above method cooks rice very soft. You can directly cook the rice in open vessel as below.
- Boil 3 cups of water, pour the rice & Moong dhal and allow it to cook thoroughly, till it becomes very soft.
- Add Jaggery and mix well till it melts. Add the remaining ingredients as said above.
(*) Recipes from my mom’s Kitchen.