Podalangai is one of my favorite. This recipe goes well with white rice.
Pudalangai Paal Kootu / Pudalangai Pal Kulambu / Snake Gourd in Milk Gravy
- Podalangai / Snake Gourd - 1 lb
- Pasi Paruppu / Moong dhal - ½ cup
- Ghee - 3 tsp
- Mustard - ½ tsp
- Urad dhal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Milk - 1 cup
To Grind :
- Urad dhal - 1 tbsp
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Green Chili - 4 nos
- Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cook moong dhal with 2 cups of water in a vessel and keep it aside. Chop snake gourd in to semi circle pieces. Add ½ cup water and required salt, pressure cook in a cooker for 1 whistle.
- Fry Urad dhal, Cumin in "To Grind" Section for 2 minutes and add the rest of the items in "To Grind" Section and fry for a minute . Grind this into fine paste.
- After the Snake Gourd is cooked, add cooked moong dhal and the ground paste.
- In a pan, add ghee, Mustard, Urad dhal and curry leaves and add the Snake Gourd mix. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and cook for 1 minute.
(*) This goes good with rice, Chapathi. Recipe from one of my friends.