Ennai Kathirkkai is one of our fav. Brinjal is cooked well in tamarind juice. It tastes awesome with steamed white rice.
Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu / Oil Brinjal Gravy
- Small Brinjals - 10 nos
- Tomato - 4 nos
- Tamarind - small lemon size
- Sesame Oil - 6 tsp
- Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp
- Whole Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Mustard - ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 strand
To Fry :
- Oil - ½ tsp
- Big Onion - 1 no
- Tomato - 1 no
- Ginger & garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tsp
- Red Chili powder - ½ tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Chop onion very small.
- Fry the items given in the section " To Fry " in Oil and grind them to a smooth paste.
- Slit the brinjal into 4 pieces by opening just the mouth, stuff the masala paste inside the brinjals. Soak tamarind in the water and extract to a thick juice.
- Grind tomatoes to a fine paste.
- In a pan heat oil. When hot, add mustard, curry leaves, whole pepper. When the mustard splutters add the stuffed brinjals and if any left overs, add the remaining masalas. Fry this till the oil separates and brinjal is cooked well in the oil. Stir in the middle to cook the brinjal evenly on all the side.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 min. Add the tamarind juice, coriander leaves, salt and chilly powder. Allow it to cook till, the raw smell from the tamarind leaves or the oil separates depending on how you want it.
- Cook brinjal & masala well in the oil (2nd step) to get the well masala soaked brinjal.
(*) This will be good to eat with plain rice or chapatt, roti.